I think it is impossible for me to crawl into bed and not have my mind go on a wild journey into the land of racing thoughts. Before bed my mind naturally goes into “scatter brain mode.” This is a mode where the most absolute random thoughts pop into my head. Some regrets, some obvious, some longing. There are always a lot, and there are always repeats. Let’s take a look at a few of them:
“Shoot.. I forgot…”
“I love him so much…”
“I should have blogged today…”
“Sleeping is the best…”
“Everything is the worst…”
“I hope tonights dream is better than last nights…”
“Dylynn, go to sleep you imbecile…”
“This retainer tastes disgusting…”
Such thoughts are constantly running through my head, it is like a hamster in a wheel that just keeps spinning and spinning and spinning. My question is, what can I do at night to avoid this from happening? Is there some sort of trick to this whole thing. Also, why does this happen to me? What does this say about my personality? Do I worry too much? Why do I ask so many questions? Am I annoying (<– You see my point.)
Ways to silence your head at night:
- Realize how important sleep is: Not getting enough sleep could be the reason you are so stressed in the first place. Ah!- a never ending cycle it seems.
- Stay on top of your sleep cycle: If you go to bed around the same time every night, and wake up at the same time you can train your body to think it has some sort of internal alarm clock! I found that fact on Google- neat right?!
- Create a pre-sleep routine: I like to always end my night doing something that makes me happy, so that I am at ease and have a clear mind before bed. Nothing says Good night sleep for me like an “I love you” message to your significant other! Going to sleep on a good note is KEY in a peaceful sleep.
- Write down your worries: I think that writing is an amazing way to get things off your chest, if you write down all your worries its as simple as crumpling up that piece of paper and thrown’ em all away!! Be gone evil sleep stealing thoughts!!!!
- Focus on the positives: This is pretty self explanatory. Why bother feeling like crap before bed, when you could turn on a happy thought? As hard as that can be sometimes. Just take a second, put your hand over your heart, feel that thump thump noise. Smile. You’re still alive! What more could you ask for?
Each day is a new blank page, as soon as your eyes close at night. It gives you the chance for a brand new tomorrow. A chance to do things completely different than you did yesterday. There- I wrote all that out because I could not get to sleep. To be quite honest I am now tuckered, it works!